Why Black Knight

The name Black Knight comes from this famous joke in roman slang. A man tells this story:
The Black Knight and the White Knight make a duel and the Black Knight kills the White Knight. Now the White Knight had 3 sons, they challenge the Black Knight to a duel and the Black Knight kills all of them. Now they had 3 sons each and the 9 White Knights challenge the Black Knight to a duel but the Black Knight kills of all them. Now they had 3 sons each and the 27 White Knights challenge the Black Knight to a duel but the Black Knight kills all of them.
Please stop the story, what do you mean, what is the moral?
The moral is: "Don't piss off the Black Knight"!!!!!!!!!


Sunday, 3 May 2026

Once a sailor always a sailor

In my last post I wrote that before the running races I use to wear the jacket that I got when I enlisted in the Navy in 1977. Well, I stayed in the Coast Guard for 20 years and then I changed job even if I continued to work in the ports.

I am the second from left

I am the sailor at the helm of the Patrol Boat

Thanks to these 20 years of service, I have acquired the right to attend all the Navy Clubs located throughout Italy. The closest to my city is in Rome:



During the Easter holidays, my wife and I spent a week at the Chianciano Terme Navy Club, Chianciano Terme is famous for its thermal baths. The city is located in the heart of Tuscany so we were able to visit dreamy towns and villages around it. It felt like we were living in a fairytale. Attending Navy Clubs is a pleasure for me because it is a step back in time that allows me to meet again old friends in an environment that I have never forgotten.

Chianciano Terme Navy Club

Chianciano Terme Navy Club

Chianciano Terme

Chianciano Terme

Walking through the narrow streets

Tired after the thermal bath

I can also say that, for me, the Coast Guard was and remains a family, while the job that followed was just .... a job. I still meet up with the old colleagues and it's always a pleasure to spend time together remembering the good old days. As the saying goes: "Once a sailor, always a sailor"!!!!

The cake after a meeting among the old colleagues of the Coast Guard

The pictures of the other cities in Tuscany will follow soon.
Questions: 
- Do you like to spend your time in the Thermal Baths?
- Have you ever visited a Navy or Army or Air Force club?

HAVE A GOOD WEEK AHEAD


 

34 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos! That sounds like one of the nice benefits you got for your service. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, in Italy the Navy thinks about the well-being of its men.
      All the best.

      Delete
  2. Good to see your photos and to answer your questions - no - though I've had the opportunity when travelling central Australia I never went into a thermal pool.
    I have a close cousin who joined out Navy here in Australia and was there for about 20 years, like yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he remembers with pleasure those 20 years.
      Spending time into a thermal pool is a very good experience.

      Delete
  3. L'anno scorso a Marienhamn ho visitato la POMMERN, un veliero in buone condizioni e molto interessante.
    Un mio cugino ha fatto servizio di leva in marina negli anni 80.
    Buona giornata e buona settimana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visitare le navi è una bella esperienza. Gli ultimi 10 anni nelle Capitanerie li ho trascorsi assegnando gli ormeggi alle navi che arrivavano. Buona settimana anche a te.

      Delete
  4. Twenty years in the Coast Guard, that’s not just a job, that’s a whole life chapter. You can feel how much it still means to you.
    Old friends, familiar places, shared history… no wonder it feels like coming home every time.
    The idea of thermal baths after a long run sounds pretty perfect!
    Have the people that you meet at the reunions changed a lot? Or much the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people that I meet at the reunions are always the same. We have spent many years together and shared a lot of experiences. That is more than a friendship. Next reunion on June 10th.

      Delete
  5. I am sure that many happy memories were rekindled. And to spend the time in Tuscany was an added bonus to make us all envious! All the best - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuscany deserves a visit. There you can find everything: nature, animals, history, architectures, amazing little towns, big cities, special food and a lot of other beautiful things. My career in the Navy started in Tuscany: Livorno (Leghorn).

      Delete
  6. I hope the spa treatments have had a beneficial effect on your health. When I was young, I often went swimming in the pool with thermal healing water in our spa near where I lived at the time. There are also thermal springs in the city where I live now and I hear that new pools with healing hot water will be built in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog. Thermal baths are a good solution for many problems and/or for spending relaxing time. In my city there is thermal water too.

      Delete
  7. That's so nice the experiences you enjoy as "always being a sailor" from "once being a sailor"! That was a special way to spend your Easter holidays! I have enjoyed natural hot springs in Banff National Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Navy Clubs are well organized with all the comforts.
      Will you come back to enjoy natural hot springs?

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your retreat in Tuscany looked so amazing! The scenery looks so breathtaking and the time with old friends sounded amazing. You also looked pretty relaxed, so I guess than means it was refreshing too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed the best way to spend a week in total relax. Tuscany is a very beautiful region.

      Delete
  10. How lovely! I have toured a naval base in Spain but that's about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However I think it was an interesting experience and .... Spain is a very beautiful country.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I love Spain and have Spanish heritage, the naval base in Cartagena is only open one day a year, too, on Spain's national day, so we were lucky to get to see it!

      Delete
    3. I went to Spain many times for work and tourism. For sure I'll come back there soon.

      Delete
  11. Boa noite meu querido amigo. Quanto tempo não teclamos, pelos nossos blogspot. Já visitei dois Museus da Marinha, na cidade do Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brasil. Foi uma experiência muito interessante. Até postei no meu Blogger. Uma excelente noite de segunda-feira, um excelente mês de maio e um grande abraço carioca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it's only my fault, I'm sorry. I am sure that the 2 visits were very interesting. I have a lot of good memories about the ships.

      Delete
  12. Foi um prazer teclar, com você Stefano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real pleasure for me too. thank you.

      Delete
  13. 20 years in the Coast Guard really is a whole chapter of life, and you can tell how much those memories and friendships still mean to you.
    The Navy Clubs sound like a great way to reconnect and relive those times.
    The thermal baths look wonderfully relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is a chapter of the life that never ends because we, the sailors, are always in touch and, as you say, the Navy Clubs are a great way to reconnect and relive the "old times".

      Delete
  14. How fun for you and your wife to get away for a week to such a beautiful part of Italy! I'm sure you thoroughly enjoyed your reunion with friends from your naval days, too.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures from the other Tuscan cities you visited on your recent trip. When we were in the Tuscan region several years ago we visited Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, and Chianti. All were stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We organize many reunions to stay together, remembering the old good times and the many adventures on the sea.
      I have many pictures to share and I will do it.
      You visited many beautiful places in Tuscany, will you come back there? Have you ever visited Rome?

      Delete
  15. This sounds like a wonderful excuse to get together and visit a beautiful place! And even though you say it was 'just a job', you made friendships and memories--it's part of your life story. Love that you are sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean: I worked 20 years in the Coast Guard and 20 years in the Port Authority: the first job was a wonderful experience, the second only ...a job.

      Delete
  16. Very Interesting!
    Thanks for sharing!

    Bjxxx,
    Pinterest | Instagram | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very nice post. 2015 we were in Tuscany (how time runs!) we stayed at Montecatini Terme. So nice you call them family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Montecatini, a very beautiful time with famous water.
      Yes, the time in the Coast Guard was a wonderful experience.

      Delete

Always troubles

I apologize, but I won't be able to write or comment posts for a while. Yesterday, during a workout, I fell on the ground and fractured ...