Tarquinia part 2: I don’t only have memories of my childhood but also as a runner. I entered my first race in Tarquinia on July 5, 1986; it was a 5 km that I ran in 20:30: I was 31 of 38 overall (few participants at that time).
The last one was a 10 km on October 10, 2019, where I established my personal worst on the distance with the finishing time of 58:48 (215 of 238 overall and 15 of 18 a.g.).
In total I have run in Tarquinia 13 races, included 4 half marathons: 1:36:04 (1991); 1:34:15 (1992); 1:46:33 and 1:49:20 (2004).
There all the routes are scenic but tough because of the cobblestones and many uphill (short but heartbreaking).
Running Update. This week the workouts have been not easy because I feel weak and my pace is 45”-60”/km slower than usual. I worried so, on wednesday, I did laboratory analysis. Luckily the results were ok and now I can say that the weakness is heat, humidity and …. my age fault!
Tuesday: 8,4 km (5,2 m) at a very slow pace. After this workout I needed 2 days of total rest to recover;
Thursday: 10 km at my usual pace;
Saturday: 10 km at a very slow pace again but I feel less weak.
Next posts. The topic will be Tuscia (part of Lazio Region) again with its amazing ancient towns and, of course, my running adventures there. The next place will be Marta.
1990: My son, at that time 11 y.o., near the finishing line (I am at his right):
2021: Father and son 31 years later:
Tarquinia: 2 little medieval churches at the borders of the town:
Tarquinia: towers in the downtown:








I have the same weaknesses as you! I never feel my age so much as I do in the middle of summer. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteThe wise says: "Listen to your body". But I don't succeed in learning this important lesson!
DeleteHeat tires you down and staying hydrated is important. Beautiful photos of your area. Have a great week.
ReplyDeleteI agree hydrated and with a well balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables!
DeleteWe all struggle with running in the heat and humidity. It's normal to feel slower. those cool fall runs will feel amazing for us all
ReplyDeleteCannot wait for those fall runs and ... a light rain!
DeleteYup when it is hot and humid, you have to expect that it will be harder and that you will run slower. Hard to accept.
ReplyDeleteLove your photos. So beautiful where you live.
Yes it's hard to accept also because I remember the time when I entered the running races in summer without problems but I was ..... younger!!!!
DeleteTarquinia looks amazing...the architecture is cool, and the cobblestones (while not being runner-friendly) do add a lot of charm. The heat and humidity definitely keep us humble, and I don't think that's a bad thing. We shouldn't run with an all-out effort all the time anyways; respecting the weather (and uncomfortable temps) is a great way to keep that in check ;-)
ReplyDeleteYou are right but for a runner it's hard to slow down, we would like to be always in perfect shape.
DeleteAnd yes, Tarquinia deserves a touristic visit.
Running a hilly half-marathon with cobblestones in 1:34 is awesome, Stefano!
ReplyDeleteOf course, we get slower as we age, but you are still extremely fit!
Love the photo comparison with your son as a small boy and then standing next to you as an adult. Time flies!
Yes time flies but I have good memories.
DeleteAbout the half, only the first 2 km and the last 3 were hilly.
I really struggle with the heat in the summer month, especially the humidity. I'm usually at least a minute slower per mile, but that's okay as I use it as an opportunity to do more scenic runs :)
ReplyDeleteA very wise decision.
DeleteIndeed the scenic runs are the best!
Before the heat I often went to do my workouts in other close city to enjoy the different landscapes.
What wonderful pictures and memories. The heat is so tough for running. It sucks the life out of me.
ReplyDeleteRunning in early morning is the only solution "to survive".
DeleteI loved the father and son photo that you shared. It is so great that you are able to run together. The photos of medieval churches are also so interesting. Being able to walk inside something so old is such a special experience.
ReplyDelete